Wednesday, October 05, 2005

 

My Last Seizure, or Why I Got a Pump


See previous post for "part 1" of this story! Entitled; "Yoga and the Homeless Diabetic."

Well, a fainting episode is one thing. Next, even after trying very hard to control my low reactions, I was soon to experience seizures. (see other posts, like Seizures and Why I Loved the Red Sox for 2 Minutes, for some hilarious, in retrospect, stories there.)

After having my daughter, I was still trying to keep my sugars low, and still experiencing too many reactions. When she was 4 months old, I'd had enough. I had to quit breastfeeding, it took too much unexpected sugar out of me. I had a seizure induced by a flu one night while my little cutie was vomiting all over the place and my husband, the lifeguard that day, had to get us both back on our feet. I woke up the next morning and started making phone calls. It took me months of fighting my health insurance company (via the various faxes, permissions, etc) to approve the pump, and thanks to a dedicated clinic endocrinologist, I was in the "Minimed" program as of Dec. '01. Ever since, I've felt like my life is much safer, much more predictable. Not entirely, but better is better.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?